Computer stuff

A file compression experiment

I wanted to make an archive backup of my Parallels Windows 10 virtual machine file. The file itself is 54.51 GB, and I used Keka, a compressor application for OSX available from the Mac’s App Store to compress using the ‘more compression’ setting on each of five different compression standards:

On each compression setting I used ‘Slowest, more compression’:

Keka compression settings screen

…and here are the results in descending file size (and thus ascending better compresssion) with the 7z method a clear winner:

Compression results

Interesting stuff!


1 thought on “A file compression experiment”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *